Most of us face skin problems in daily routine. It could either be due to hormonal imbalance, dietary changes, stress, dirt, pollution or some other factor like genes even. Acne is one of the main skin problem that can occur from teenagers to middle aged people too.
It gets difficult to get rid of Stubborn zit marks or pimples on your face, especially if you’ve a mild to severe acne problem. There are variable acne treatment options available, depending on your skin type and issue. You can consult your dermatologist or get over-the-counter prescriptions for treating your acne.
In this article, we will list some of the common acne treatment options. But before that, we shall briefly discuss what acne really is.
What is Acne?
Acne is basically “a skin condition characterized by red pimples on the skin, especially on the face, due to inflamed or infected sebaceous glands and prevalent chiefly among adolescents.”
It has various types including pimples, pustules, whiteheads, blackheads, papules, nodules, cysts, etc.
There can be a variety of causes for acne,as discussed above. Basically clogged pores and dirt cause the most skin problems including acne. Some bacteria are also responsible for causing acne problems. The dead skin cells, oil, dirt, or some other factor can be contributing towards mild to severe acne condition. Even a lack of hydration or moisturization may result in pimples or zit marks. So, it is highly essential to cleanse and moisturise your skin to prevent acne or any other skin issue. That can be done by drinking ample amount of 8-10 glasses of water daily. It can also be enhanced by using skin moisturiser, toner, etc. of a good cosmetic company.
Acne Treatment Options:
Everybody wants a healthy, smooth-textured without any pertinent zit marks. Along with home remedies, there are many topical solutions as well oral prescriptions available in the market that help to treat acne problem effectively.
There are various acne treatment options available. Some are prescribed by dermatologists, others can be easily taken from your local pharmacy or drugstore.
Some of the most common and effective ones are listed below:
- Retinoids are basically products with Retinol as main component. It helps to unclog the blocked pores, reduces sebum in them and also reduces skin breakouts by getting rid of dead skin cells. It has a number of benefits including pore tightening, smoothing out skin texture, getting rid of dark spots and reduces skin redness or rash. There are a number of good skincare products like creams, gels, serums, etc. in the market that have Retinol derivatives. They work like the functioning of Vitamin A derivatives. This is why they have such a powerful effect on acne problem.
- Benzoyl Peroxide is a nonprescription drug that helps to fight the acne-causing bacteria in your clogged pores for mild to severe acne. It also helps treat acne infections. The only major con of using this is skin dryness, inflammation or redness. The best way to cope with that is to keep your skin hydrated and moisturised with an ample and sufficient amount of water, moisturiser, toner, etc.
- Antibiotics are prescribed for acne caused by bacteria usually. This helps kill off the bad germs spoiling your skin. Antibiotics help to clear up the skin and give you a pimple-free face. They are often used in combination with topical Retinoids and Benzoyl Peroxide. Their mechanism works internally in the body killing off the bacteria while topical solutions help to work externally and unclog pores, freeing them of dead skin cells, dirt or sebum.
- Topical Sulfur Products have a similar functioning like Benzoyl Peroxide. They tend to dry out the skin by absorbing the sebum oil clogging pores. To prevent excessive skin dryness, moisturise your skin and keep it well-hydrated. Sulfur can have a pungent odour so it’s often used in combination with some other product or has some fragrance added. If you’re not in for fragrant products, there are a number of products available in the market that are free of such components.
- Salicylic acid and Azelaic acid can be used separately or as a combination too. They help to reduce redness or swelling caused by acne. Another factor is Keratin production that leads to acne. Products containing these two substances decrease its production and keep the pores unclogged. These acids are antibacterial in action so they tend to get rid of acne-causing bacteria as well.
- Dapsone is most commonly available as a gel treatment. It is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory in action. This means that it not only reduces the bacteria responsible for acne but also reduces redness, puffiness, swelling or inflammation that the skin might be experiencing due to mild or severe acne.
Before using any product, it is important to carefully read the instructions and skin type mentioned on the product. It could contain some ingredient that you are allergic to as well, thus make an informed decision before buying any skincare product.
Know your skin type and see what suits your Acne Treatment needs. Consult a dermatologist if you have extremely sensitive skin or some other medical condition. It is better to consult than performing self-treatment.
Acne problem can be treated best if you keep yourself hydrated by drinking enough water. Also, washing and cleansing the face is essential on a daily basis. The more you keep it clean, the less sebum or oil will clog your pores. Sebum is not necessarily bad for your skin as it naturally keeps your skin moist. But excessive production of oil from sebaceous glands can lead to clogged pores. Most products tend to reduce that sebum as this allows your skin to breathe without developing pertinent zits. Another precaution is not to squeeze a pimple or rub your skin too much as it can spread acne to unaffected parts of your face as well.
Before using any product, apply on a small part of skin other than your face. If you do not experience any adverse effect or reverse reaction, you’re good to go. That is the safest bet to try a product without ruining your face.
Apart from that, there are many home remedies for acne removal available as well. Some of them are shown in this video below.. You can try them keeping your skin type in mind.