Activated charcoal is an odorless, black powder with several medicinal and cosmetic properties. It’s often used to treat drug overdoses or poisoning. Made from coal or wood, it becomes “activated” when subjected to high temperatures and an activating agent – expanding its surface area.
Apart from the toxin absorbing properties, here are 5 charcoal hacks you should definitely know:
Activated charcoal has been used as a purifying agent for a long time. It interacts with the impurities – drugs, viruses, bacteria – filtering them and leaving behind pure drinkable water.
According to a study published in 2015, water filtration systems that used carbon removed almost 100% of fluoride in 32 unfiltered water samples, just after 6 months of installation.
Activated charcoal can act as antiviral, antibacterial and a detoxifying agent, and is used in several dental hygiene products.
A charcoal paste can be used as a teeth whitening agent, as it attaches to the plaque and reduces the yellow tint.
To make the paste:
- Mix activated charcoal, baking soda and some coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Use a tooth brush to apply the paste on your teeth
- Let it sit for around 5 minutes and then rinse
Blackhead peel off mask
Blackheads can be present on different areas of your face, making it painful to get them removed. A peel off mask can serve as an easy way for getting rid of them.
- Mix a tablespoon of gelatin in 2 tablespoon water
- Place the bowl in hot water and stir until the mixture thickens
- Immediately add activated charcoal, tee tree oil and some honey in the gelatin mixture
- Apply the mask and let it dry
- Peel off the mask and wash your face with luke warm water
- Apply a moisturizer to rehydrate
Activated charcoal can be effective in whitening your underarms.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal, 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a small bowl
- Scrub your armpits with the mixture and let it rest for 10 minutes
- Rinse and repeat once every week
No more acne
Due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, activated charcoal can help reduce acne by purifying the skin and reducing puffiness.
- Mix a capsule of activated charcoal, 1 tablespoon of aloe Vera gel and 1 drop of tea tree oil in a small bowl
- Apply the mixture on your face and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Wash with cold water
- Repeat two times a week for effective results