The famous discovery channel explorer was recently stung by a bee, while filming, and had to be saved by the paramedics.
The 45-year-old is severely allergic to bees – which he discovered in 2008 after being stung while cutting honeycomb from a hive. He posted a throwback picture of his swollen face on Instagram in 2015, saying, “The day I found out I was allergic to bees. #bearvsTheBee“.
Bear was recently filming “Treasure Island with Bear Gryll“, to be aired in September on Channel 4. Treasure Island, previously named Born survivor, is a ‘human vs nature’ series featuring 12 contestants. The strangers are stranded on a remote island for 35 days, searching for a prize of £100,000 – dropped somewhere by a helicopter. The participants can work together or individually to find the prize money.
While filming, the adventurer was stung by a bee and suffered a severe anaphylactic shock. Bear tried to carry on with the filming as his face swelled up, eventually losing consciousness. A medic team rushed to unconscious explorer and injected him with an EpiPen to prevent the shock from being fatal.
According to Mano Shanmuganathan – a brain surgeon and a participant of the show – “I think that Bear is an impressive guy. He understands his tasks at hand and knows what he has to achieve”. He further added, “The irony of Bear the survivalist being stung, having the potential of an allergic reaction, and needing to be treated with an EpiPen, was a bizarre moment. That was crazy!”
Bear has also talked about his allergy, saying, “The irony is, out of all of the massive, lethal, aggressive, man-eating crocs, snakes, alligators I’ve dealt with over the years, the one that gets me is a bee.”
Gryll was majorly known for his “Man vs Wild” series on Discovery Channel, however, the explorer was fired from the show, by the channel, over a contract dispute. According to the US cable network, “Discovery has also terminated all current production with him.”