Everybody likes to have a luscious mane. Irrespective of the length of your hair, hair fall is an issue of concern for everyone. It depicts a shift in your health or maybe some other cause leading to hair fall. If you’re someone who loves long locks but gets them damaged by extensive hair routines, you evidently suffer from hair fall.
Salon treatments may be costly or short term for hair health. Hair fall has more to do with other reasons than just further damaging your hair by chemical treatments. They might help, but sometimes, simple remedies can help you on a tight budget.
Maintaining hair health isn’t tough, if you know what works for your hair. We’ll first discuss basic causes of hair fall and then its types before discussing some beneficial home remedies on hair fall for you.
What causes hair fall?
Hormonal imbalance, stress, iron deficiency/anemia, thyroid problem, Vitamin deficiency, dramatic weight loss, or simple age factor can be the causes of hair fall. Violent brushing or excessive exposure to heat like sunlight, hair straightening, dyeing, curling, etc. can also be the reasons for hair fall.Your hair follicles become weak and easily lose their strength, causing hair loss.
Hair health essentially depends upon your diet intake and your hair’s exposure to different environments. But before you get alarmed, it is vital to fix your diet and employ some good remedies as habits to maintain your hair health. Care for your hair will definitely lessen hair fall.
If not, then you know you need to see your doc to see what’s wrong with your health causing you to lose hair.
Types of hair fall:
Basically, there are two types of hair fall. One is genetic, while the other is reactive. We’ll briefly discuss the two types.
-Genetic hair fall is basically due to your inherited characteristics of hair thinning or lesser volume of hair. You may see a gradual reduction in your hair volume due to this genetic shedding. Your hair growth cycle may be different to other people, or it could be more sensitive to some hormones which causes hair fall.
-Reactive hair fall may be due to a number of reasons. It could be due to stress, tension, illness, a medical condition, internal imbalance or lack of nutrients in diet. Your hair might not be getting the vitality it needs to keep itself healthy and thick.
You can identify if your hair fall condition is a genetic or reactive one, it depends on your symptoms. Usually the latter is the causal reason for hair fall issue because care is not taken to maintain hair health.
Home Remedies for hair fall:
When you see a shampoo label, you probably see the ingredients incorporated into it that are vital for your hair health. If your choice of shampoo is one that fixes hair fall issues, then you need to identify the reason.
Shampoos may be good, but they’ve other chemicals or processed ingredients too. They cannot fix your hair like natural or organic ingredients used in home remedies. You might need some extra effort than just a lather of a shampoo dollop to solve your hair fall issues.
Below are some common home remedies for hair fall that may essentially help you to get thicker, stronger hair.
- Oiling: Perhaps one of the most important part of a haircare routine is oiling at home. The essential oils used could range from a choice of different oils; olive, jojoba, coconut, mustard, castor, herbal, etc. Some people even use mixtures of 3-4 different oils to get the best of every oil.
You can simply massage oil onto your hair. Leave it overnight or on for a few hours and then wash it off. You’ll definitely see a difference, not only in appearance but also through less hair fall.
- Egg mask: This home remedy includes mixing a whole egg or an egg white with yoghurt, milk, oil or all three. Take one egg, mix a tablespoon of yoghurt or milk (whatever is available) in it, and olive oil or some other oil if you like. Adding oil will help kill off the cringey smell of this mixture. Apply the mask for 10-30 minutes on your hair. Wash it off thoroughly and use this method once a week.
- Aloe Vera: Fresh aloe vera leaf can be taken, Extract the gel from the leaf and separate it. You can add essential oils, lemon, honey, etc. if you want. Apply the mixture on your hair and wash it off. Aloe vera may not help in hair fall issue, but also reduce dandruff, itchy scalp and act as a conditioner on hair.
- Neem leaves: Boil a cup of fresh leaves in water. Make a paste of these after crushing them. You can add any oil or honey in this paste and then apply on your hair. Instead of neem leaves, you can also get natural neem leaves’ powder and make a paste out of it. Another method is to strain the boiled neem leaves and use the cooled down neem water as a hair spray or for rinsing after a shampoo. It’ll help condition and strengthen your hair.
- Onion juice: Same as the neem leaves, you can boil onions in water and use the onion juice for applying on hair. Or you can crush them and make a paste with castor oil and then apply on your hair. This remedy will help to boost the collagen level in your hair and lessen hair fall. Onions have been proven to increase hair growth.
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry): Amla oil can be used on hair for massage. You can also use amla mixed with lemon juice on your hair. Otherwise amla powder can be used as a paste with any oil. Apply it on your hair and then rinse it off to see the results.
- Greek yoghurt and honey: Honey mixed with Greek yoghurt can be applied on hair. This remedy will soften and strengthen your locks. It’s simple and easy to apply.
- Beetroot: You can boil and strain the beetroot water, as done with neem leaves, etc. This can be applied on hair. As beetroot has an intense color, it can alter your hair color too. It depends on your natural hair. If you’re not in for this, you can make beetroot juice and drink it. It is also known to rejuvenate hair health, besides other health benefits.
Most of these home remedies include application from a few minutes to overnight. There’s no harm in leaving it on for long hours since these are natural ingredients. Use a shower cap after applying since most remedies include a paste or mixture.Thoroughly washing them off with a shampoo will help to kill off any smell of these mixtures. You can use any of these remedies once or twice a week.